Thursday, December 3, 2009

Baby Brooks Arrived!

snug as a bug!
6lb 4 oz and 18 inches


roses and balloons from two favorite men in my life.

I am so in love with our little guy!






So much has happened this week and Paul and I feel so blessed by God. At 37 1/2 weeks, I had an ultrasound because I was measuring a little small and it appeared that Brooks weighed about 5 1/2lbs at most so my induction was planned for 39 weeks, December 1st.

Paul and I prayed for a healthy baby and I ate lots of turkey and stuffing as well as hamburgers and pizzas the week and a half before the induction. I think it must have worked because Brooks arrived 12/1/2009 at 12:18pm and weighed a healthy 6lb 40z and a very short 18 inches--definitely has the Neely genes as far as height.

On 12/1/2009, I started getting a low dose of pitocin at about 8 or 8:30am and was only 2cm at 10am so I asked for pitocin to be slightly turned up and my doctor decided to break my water at noon; however, as soon as she left the room, my water broke on its own and things progressed very quickly. I went from 2 to 10cm in 1-2 hours and Brooks arrived after a very short labor! Thank goodness!

He is so perfect and we love him more than you could think possible.

We brought him home at 8pm last night and he adapted very well to his new home and slept from 3:30am to 8am without waking up. Today, we went to the pediatrician for a weight check and first visit. He is doing well. He has lost some weight as is typical for newborns especially for breastfed babies--yes you all did read correctly. I am trying to breastfeed--reasons for this are mainly because I became paranoid that I did something to make him small (really he had membranous insert of umbilical cord into placenta so he did well knowing that) and felt I needed to do everything to make him healthy and my friends with experience talked me into at least trying. We are doing well and will return to pediatrician tomorrow for weight check and to make sure he is not more jaundiced and in need of light therapy.

Paul's parents are coming in a few hours. Mom and dad are coming Monday after Paul's parents leave on Sunday. I cannot wait to see my parents!

We have already been blessed with the best Christmas gift ever! Love you all!

6 comments:

  1. So happy Brooks is here! He is so handsome! Way to go on giving breastfeeding a shot! Hope you are getting some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's PERFECT!!!!! So handsome!!! Congrats to you!!!!! Breastfeeding is challenging at first, but once you get the hang of it you will be so glad you stuck it out! Love to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations, leslie! he's a doll! glad to hear everything is going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love him already, can't wait to meet him. Being a Mommy is so much fun and I am so excited for you and Paul. Rest up and keep the photos coming. Huge Congrats!
    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Leslie and Paul!!! I'm so glad that Brooks is here and then you both are healthy and doing well. Get some rest and enjoy your new baby boy : ) He looks absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! He is perfect!

    Leslie Poole Ware

    ReplyDelete